Tuesday, May 21, 2002


You little sneak you. How did you post that Smokey picture so quickly and appropriately? I forgot that it is tenant of cultural literacy. I always thought that the "They'll do it every time" comic strip, with the feature "Tip o' the Hat" to some ordinary contributor was almost a definition of one kind of American humor. All of us are constantly looking for ironic contributions to that strip, it seems. "I go by there every day on the way to work, but the one day I didn't, they handed out prizes to everybody" or "I always pick the wrong checkout line. As soon as I get in it, it stops moving." or "The one day I forget my coat, it rains" etc. etc. Nothing far out, it just that we have to report on these day-to-day indignities and complaints. We point them out to total strangers. Many people just invent them, because after all, we need to have something to grouse about. It seems people feel clever if they are the one to see the humor.

No comments: