Thursday, June 27, 2002

Leah, I love the SS convertible pictures. The On Q girls are O.K. too.

I locked on to that big sycamore tree three years ago when I moved up here. It isn't too far from here, in Simsbury CT. We are about ten miles east of hartford, and it is about 5 miles north west of the city.

The amazing thing about it is that not only does it have a massive trunk, but the main branches are bigger than most huge trees, and go out almost at right angles and keep on going. The tree covered area is 146 feet across! Any angle that you look, it surprises you. Here is a link to a registry that rates it at the top of a list in New England. I haven't dug into other trees stats, but who cares if it is "the biggest, fattest, or barkiest"? It is wonderful.
http://www.uark.edu/misc/ents/sne.sycamores.html



I guess I have to throw in a little nostalgia, so I have to say I always liked the patchy bark and the look of sycamores. I can't believe it, but I still have a six inch piece of sycamore branch that I cut and saved in boy scouts- c. 1959. I'm just not sure what box it's in.

No comments: