Saturday, January 08, 2005


Home in North Bergen Posted by Hello

7083 North Bergen Road. This house was built by Aaron Gifford, North Bergen Postmaster, in 1870. George Walker, a farmer, purchased the home in 1891. Until 1988, his daughter, Alice Walker, lived here. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, the Gifford/Walker farmhouse is an outstanding example of carpenter gothic architecture. The steeply pitched gable roofs, bargeboards at the eaves, dripstone moldings and board and batten wall sheathing, are all elements of the Gothic Revival style. Of special note is the use of ogee arched openings at the recessed porch which employs both lattice works posts and fluted columns as supports.

From The Architectural Heritage of Genesee County, New York published in 1988 by Landmark Society of Genesee County.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up a couple of houses down from the Gifford/Walker house. Alice was a wonderful neighbor with a wealth of wisdom on early farm life. I remember visiting with her and eventually helping her with yard work and minor maintenance. Her visits carried me into the past with her stories that would easily paint a picture in my mind in the early years, the simple yet hard lives of our ancestors.
This article points out many of the intricate elements in this house associated with Gothic architecture (one of the better ones that I have read on this house). A few of the exterior features are carried on into the interior parlor. Front porch fluted columns mimic the interior parlor window trim as well as the overhead cornice on the porch that was duplicated in the interior parlor cornices.
North Bergen is in my sole!
Kevin Taft

Jen said...

Hi, I live in the Gifford Walker house. It is weird seeing it on the internet! I came across it while I was doing research about painting the exterior of it. I'd like to find a color that is historically accurate, but there's not much about it. I wonder what color it was originally. Does anyone happen to know? :)